Barcelona, 13 May 2022 - This morning, at a press conference held in the Pau Gil Hall of the Art Nouveau Site of San Pablo, the World Higher Education Week 2022, to be held from 16 to 20 May in Barcelona, was kicked off.
This week has been timed to coincide with the UNESCO World Conference on Higher Education (WHEC2022), making Barcelona, for one week, the World Capital of Higher Education. The Global University Network for Innovation (GUNi), chaired and coordinated by the Catalan Association of Public Universities (ACUP), has promoted the World Higher Education Week 2022, opening the doors to institutions and universities that have organised activities to discuss the future of higher education and university policy.
The event was attended by the institutions involved (*), represented by the following personalities
- José Manuel Pingarrón, Secretary General for Universities at the Ministry of Universities
- Victoria Alsina, Minister for External Action and Open Government of the Government of Catalonia
- Jordi Martí, Deputy Mayor for Culture, Education, Science and Community of the Barcelona City Council
- Jaume Puy, President of the ACUP-GUNi and Rector of the University of Lleida
- Josep M. Vilalta, Executive Secretary of the ACUP and Director of GUNi
Mr. Peter Wells, Head of the Division of Higher Education of UNESCO, also intervened, presenting the World Conference on Higher Education.