Year of foundation:
Parent Institution's name (original language):
Institutional postal address:
P.O. Box: 46. Mogadishu, Somalia
+252 619-19 99 99
Mision / Vision
- To advance the intellectual and social condition of the people of the country through quality programs of teaching, research, service, creative activity, outreach and training. In fact, HU is an abode of quality education and competitive training.
- To give access to high quality education-based technology and superior training.
- To provide quality education that responds creatively to the challenges of producing globally competitive graduates.
- To empower the students’ potential competence to apply their knowledge and the skills to problems solving scientifically.
- To enhance the University’s learning environment to attract and retain: Good reputation students.
- Develop and participate to new projects and Studies Networks
- Organize seminars and conferences.
- Support the mobilization of students and academics
- Establishes new exchange and cooperation agreements
Access, equity and quality
- Access to university for everyone that desires university education to receive it. It means that obstacles that prevent anyone from taking advantage of the opportunities should be removed. For this to the possible, it means that enough classrooms, laboratories and instructional facilities should be provided for everyone.
- Equity on the other hand implies that all segments of the society get their fair share of access to whatever educational opportunities are provided. The service of our university has benefited all our Somalian people in the same way, there is no inequality in the service provided by our institution.
- Quality: our university offers an expansive access to affordable and high-quality educational resources. Performs pioneering research. We see participation in high quality higher education as one of the most powerful ways for countries to create equal and cohesive societies with stable economies and strong democratic participation. Instills a culture of entrepreneurship and invention.
- Hormuud university produces academic research that sets the standard for promoting equity in higher education locally, nationally, and globally. Our approach is interdisciplinary, international, and collaborative. We encourage economic prosperity and the advancement of the workforce. We provide vital services to communities and individuals.
- To increase quality of life, we collaborate with businesses, governments, charities, and other organizations.
Opening up higher education to society
- The expectations of society towards universities and their perception of their own role are in constant flux. For this reason, universities develop and define their key role in research and innovation, teaching and continuing education in constant dialogue with all groups in society. The spectrum of tasks included in the two core functions of research and teaching has expanded at a growing rate in recent years.
- Therefore, universities now provide educational programmes for the majority of a given age cohort, pursuing the individual support of talents at the same time. They carry out basic research as well as research focusing on applications. They are faced with international competition and are also drivers of regional development. In this web of demands and expectations, it is important to continuously develop the role of universities in society.
- The reciprocal relationship between universities and society is marked by ongoing exchange and mutual influence.
- On the one hand, universities provide important impetus for society and are a key partner of industry, the public sector, civil society, and culture. They also respond to societal developments, pick up on impetus and issues arising from society and are an integral component of economic and social life in their city or region.
Higher education's contribution to sustainability
- Education is critical for promoting sustainable development and improving the capacity of the people to address development issues. It is critical for achieving environmental and ethical awareness, values and attitudes, skills, and behaviour consistent with sustainable development and for effective public participation in decision- making.
- Historically university academics have accepted responsibilities to think critically about, and to comment on, issues that they think are important for their sponsoring societies to consider. These responsibilities are in turn, and again historically, dependent on the protection of academic freedom.
- We should also consider the wider, community based, learning responsibilities of higher education. Our cake needs to include slices for adult/continuing education and ‘institution as local leader’. Cutting the cake in this way may help us to analyze the broad range of activities that influence learning but is less effective at enabling us to understand the consequences of this learning. Graduates may know much about sustainability and possess many of the skills needed to function sustainably. However, unless they decide to put this knowledge and these skills into practice through sustainable objectives and projects, sustainability education will have failed.
Social responsibility of higher education
- Our university seeks to consider the role of education, particularly higher education, in national development and educational progress. The paramount role of higher education in a country’s development is inevitable, and Hormuud University is an institution which seeks to achieve development goals in our country. In this sense, our university has resolved many issues and determined micro strategies at a national level.
- The education sector is one of the few sectors that can support, promote, and contribute to achieving all of the Sustainable Development Goals of the human being.
- Encourage the exchange of resources, groundbreaking ideas and knowledge, while tolerating collective reflection and co-production of knowledge on emerging higher education issues. Subsidize to and reflect on the role of higher education and the implementation of the university’s agenda and the Sustainable Development Goals of the human being for better and more sustainable future.