Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
Societies need a global transformation and a clear commitment towards sustainable development, the reduction of social inequalities and the improvement of living conditions at local and global level. Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) are a response to this need: a universal, ambitious, sustainable development agenda involving education, health, environment, industry, justice, governance, cities among others.
Challenges such as health and demographic change, food security, quality education for all, secure and clean water, green and efficient energy sources, climate change, and inclusive and secure communities need the engagement of the universities responding at global and local levels. On one hand, contributing to the global challenges of the world (summarized by the SDGs) and on the other hand, helping the economic, social and cultural development of its nation, region or society.
It is in this framework that GUNi has adopted a new strategic line of action around the 2030 Agenda and the SDGs with a focus on partnerships, knowledge and research. GUNi’s project on SDGs is based on:
· The GUNi International Conferences on SDGs (International Conference on Sustainable Development Goals: Actors and Implementation, 2017 - International Conference on Sustainable Development Goals and Higher Education, 2020)
· The Group of Experts on SDGs and Higher Education
· The following publications and reports: "Approaches to SDG 17 Partnerships for the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)" and "Sustainable Development Goals: Actors and Implementation, a Report from the International Conference".
Read the news below for more information about GUNi's project on SDGs and other news related to the SDGs:
- GUNi News10/11/2015
- This was one the main reflection drawn from the 6th Annual conference in Dar es Salaam promoted by the African Network for ...
- GUNi Highlights30/10/2015
GUNi will organize this session within the framework of the international conference "Connecting Actors for Sustainable Development in the Context...
- GUNi Highlights14/10/2015
GUNi together with ACUP participated on this Workshop at the Sant Pau Art Nouveau Site, highlighting the importance of education on the SDG’s and...
- GUNi Highlights30/09/2015
Up to 30 participants worldwide hold a richly diversified meeting about the social responsibility of higher education was held on September 29 in...
- News on Higher Education27/09/2015
The new set of goals aims to influence the political agenda of world leaders in order to achieve these global challenges over the next 15 years...
- GUNi Highlights10/09/2015
This event will be held on 8 and 9 October in Barcelona and will discuss what role is played by Universities on implementing the purposes of...
- News on Higher Education17/07/2015
The Report ‘Rethinking Education: Towards a global common good?’ aims to promote public policy debate on education and allocate learning within...
- GUNi Highlights15/06/2015
This Forum was organized by UNESCO in partnership with the International Council for Open and Distance Education (ICDE)