Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
Societies need a global transformation and a clear commitment towards sustainable development, the reduction of social inequalities and the improvement of living conditions at local and global level. Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) are a response to this need: a universal, ambitious, sustainable development agenda involving education, health, environment, industry, justice, governance, cities among others.
Challenges such as health and demographic change, food security, quality education for all, secure and clean water, green and efficient energy sources, climate change, and inclusive and secure communities need the engagement of the universities responding at global and local levels. On one hand, contributing to the global challenges of the world (summarized by the SDGs) and on the other hand, helping the economic, social and cultural development of its nation, region or society.
It is in this framework that GUNi has adopted a new strategic line of action around the 2030 Agenda and the SDGs with a focus on partnerships, knowledge and research. GUNi’s project on SDGs is based on:
· The GUNi International Conferences on SDGs (International Conference on Sustainable Development Goals: Actors and Implementation, 2017 - International Conference on Sustainable Development Goals and Higher Education, 2020)
· The Group of Experts on SDGs and Higher Education
· The following publications and reports: "Approaches to SDG 17 Partnerships for the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)" and "Sustainable Development Goals: Actors and Implementation, a Report from the International Conference".
Read the news below for more information about GUNi's project on SDGs and other news related to the SDGs:
- News on Higher Education13/12/2018
On Wednesday December 12th 2018 at 7pm in the Auditorium of La Pedrera, the Center for UNESCO of Catalonia organized the event ...
- Article“If we do not work together, the Sustainable Development Goals are not worth the paper they are written on"
- ArticleHigher education experts discuss how to make the Sustainable Development Goals reality
- GUNi Highlights27/11/2018
Under the title “Higher education quality assurance and the promotion of synergies among science, technology and humanities: Towards the...
- News on Higher Education23/11/2018
The 2019 Global Education Monitoring (GEM) Report on migration, displacement and education: Building bridges not walls, is now available.
- GUNi Highlights16/11/2018
The Big Tent Consortium, a global network of universities and their community partners, has issued the Declaration on the role of...
- News on Higher Education12/11/2018
Based on institutions’ success in delivering the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals, the Times Higher Education has started collecting...
- GUNi Highlights05/11/2018
· The first meeting and open-debate of the GUNi Group of Experts on SDGs and Higher Education celebrated on the 29th and 30th October 2018 has...