Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
Societies need a global transformation and a clear commitment towards sustainable development, the reduction of social inequalities and the improvement of living conditions at local and global level. Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) are a response to this need: a universal, ambitious, sustainable development agenda involving education, health, environment, industry, justice, governance, cities among others.
Challenges such as health and demographic change, food security, quality education for all, secure and clean water, green and efficient energy sources, climate change, and inclusive and secure communities need the engagement of the universities responding at global and local levels. On one hand, contributing to the global challenges of the world (summarized by the SDGs) and on the other hand, helping the economic, social and cultural development of its nation, region or society.
It is in this framework that GUNi has adopted a new strategic line of action around the 2030 Agenda and the SDGs with a focus on partnerships, knowledge and research. GUNi’s project on SDGs is based on:
· The GUNi International Conferences on SDGs (International Conference on Sustainable Development Goals: Actors and Implementation, 2017 - International Conference on Sustainable Development Goals and Higher Education, 2020)
· The Group of Experts on SDGs and Higher Education
· The following publications and reports: "Approaches to SDG 17 Partnerships for the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)", "Sustainable Development Goals: Actors and Implementation, a Report from the International Conference" and "Implementing the 2030 Agenda at Higher Education Institutions: Challenges and Responses".
Read the news below for more information about GUNi's project on SDGs and other news related to the SDGs:
- GUNi Highlights08/02/2021
- GUNi News26/01/2021
The first meeting of the European project DECODE was held on the 9th December 2020.
Five institutions have started to...
- News on Higher Education13/01/2021
The United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs has published the publication "SDG Good Practices-A compilation of success stories...
- ArticleIn the year 2020, the United Nations 2030 Agenda no longer needs introduction. Almost five years after its approval, nearly everyone knows about its 17 Sustainable Development...
- GUNi Highlights07/10/2020
· This ...
- News on Higher Education15/07/2020
Thomas Farnell - NESET Analytical Report, 2020
This report argues (based on a comprehensive review of the literature) that universities...
- News on Higher Education29/06/2020
The report calls on countries to widen the understanding of inclusive education to include all learners.
It identifies the practices in...