University of Ilorin
Mision / Vision
- TO BE AN INTERNATIONAL CENTRE OF EXCELLENCE IN LEARNING,RESEARCH, PROBITY AND SERVICE TO HUMANITY
- TO PROVIDE A WORLD CLASS ENVIRONMENT FOR LEARNING, RESEARCH AND COMMUNITY SERVICE
- Encourage the advancement of learning.
- Promote scholarship and conduct research in all fields of learning and human endeavour
- Deploy appropriate and adequate tcr facilities in allUniversity functions.
- Promote probity, equity and other shared values.
- Produce high-quality graduates both in character and learning
- Foster linkages to add value to the University.
- Promote efficient and effective human resource management.
- Increase revenue generation.
- Promote an environment-friendly University.
- Scale-up availability and maintenance of infrastructural facilities in the University.
- Ensure participation of all stakeholders in the activities of the University.
- Enhance welfare services for staff and students.
- Ensure a safe and secure University community.
- Contribute to the prevention and control of the HIV/AIDS pandemic.
- Promote global best practices in the activities of the University.
- COMMUNITY SERVICE
Access, equity and quality
To enhance access, the University of Ilorin was the first to fully, automate both the Undergraduate and Graduate admission processes with well publicized criteria of admission. It has also systematically increased the male: female ratio from 5:1 at inception to the current ratio of 3:2 in its student population of approximately 25,000. The University’s high quality standard is attested to by her web ranking of being No. 1 in Nigeria, No. 31 in Africa and just slightly outside the 5,000 mark in Global ranking; a feat that was achieved in just 3 years- when we used to be ranked outside the 1st 10,000 universities globally.
Curricular innovation in higher education institutions (HEIs)
Two principles have underlies the curricular innovation in university of Ilorin, These are; making the products of the university market reach and globally competitive. In this regard, the university has re-organized the training programmes adopting new technologies for the courses to reflect current global thinking and introducing computerized at all levels for its daily operations and learning.
Opening up higher education to society
This is hinged on the plank of the town and gown philosophy of the university. The university society relations in innovatively delivered through the three channels of community service, community participation and community empowerment. Regarding community service, all courses offer what is known as the community based experience and service (COBES) which makes it mandatory to deliver a community oriented services sustained through student activities- it is in 3-credit course in institution. This has earned for the university the status of WHO collaboration centre on COBES. Community participation is enhanced through various dialogue for a, consultations, and inclusion of members of the community that relates to ethical issues. To empower communities, the university has a deliberate policy of citing some of her projects or annexes to less developed communities in order to provide a catalyst for their economic and infrastructural development.
Higher education's role in addressing major global challenges
The university has recognized that overcoming global challenges require international networking as it is impossible for individual to solve all problems alone? It has therefore taken a bold step of internalizing its campus by establishing linkage and collaboration with many higher institutions around the world, admission of students from Countries within and outside Africa and employment of International Staff. These efforts; in terms have started yielding dividend inform of collaborative research, exchange of faculty and students joint conferences and workshop. All these are aimed at collective resolution global challenges.
Social responsibility of higher education
University of Ilorin also believes that responsibility of Higher Education is not limited to teaching and research but it also include leadership by example of what it teaches in respect of social life of its community. The university has spare headed and participated in many social activities of communities around it. For example, the university is helping the community in its effort to overcome the challenge HIV/AIDS. The university has also introduced what is known as VIP toilet at various local government of Kwara state of Nigeria. At the international level, the University also joined the rest of the world in the relieve of victim of earthquake in Haiti the year 2010. All staff of the university contributed 1% per cent of their salary to support the victims. This support was recognized and appreciated by the leadership of International Association of Universities during its workshop at University of Ilorin in November 2010.