Universidad del Rosario
Mision / Vision
The mission of the University of El Rosario was defined in 1653 by its founder Fray Cristobal de Torres. It binds the institution to five fundamental purposes: the integral, ethical and humanistic education; the academic requirements and academic quality; the research, the consolidation of the educative community; and the social responsibility.
Due to the identity it provides and its vast disclosure, the mission sets itself up as a systematic and strategic guide to the Institutional Educative Project (PEl, following its abbreviation in Spanish), to the Integral Development Plan (PID, following its abbreviation in Spanish), as well as to the formulation of policies and to the integration of its basic functions: education, research and extension. At the same time, the mission realizes and illustrates itself in each faculty, in their own particular missions, educative projects and strategic plans; a synergy, that strengthens itself due to the participative and consensual methodology adopted when formulating and developing the PID.
The vision, aims and goals, according to the planning methodology followed by the University, constitute the formulations which gather the must being in terms adjusted to specific periods of time and converging points. The vision defines it in ideal terms, the objectives in terms of expected results, and the goals determine tle indicators (measurement and timing forms), in which the achievements should be verified.
In the present Integral Development Plan 2004-2015, the vision expresses three emphases: growth, which refers to the qualitative and quantitative development of the University; identity; strengthening the differentiating characteristics of the institution; and quality, understood on the basis of global, national and institutional referents and elaborated under the principle of university autonomy with social responsibility.
The PID considers four strategic axes: I. Academic Strengthening that seeks for the consolidation of academic excellence in the undergraduate, postgraduate, research and extension programs; II. Consolidating the Identity and the Community of the University of El Rosario, oriented to strengthen the presence of the institution and the elements that differentiate and characterize it; III. Internationalization that aims at both consolidating and international culture and intercultural processes inside the University, and imbed the University into an academic community without borders; and the support element: IV. Administrative and Technological Consolidation and Financial Sustainability.
More than 20 undergraduate programs, 9 of wich are accredited by the National Ministry of Education, representing 90% of the programs considered for accreditation purpose. The remaining 10% are in the accreditation process.
More than 80 graduate specialization programs
8 Master degree programs
3 Doctoral programs, 2 in process and a joint program with Universidad del Valle and Universidad de Granada
More than 150 lines of investigation and more than 20 research groups acknowledged by the Administrative Department of Science, Technology and Innovation (National Ministry of Education) that has highlighted quality through high standard assessments.
The relationship among the university, private companies and government is understood within the context of University Social Responsibility.
Internationalization of the curriculum
Multilingualism: 12 languages (French, Mandarin, German, Italian among others) and English as a requirement.
Multiculturalism: We bring the world to our campus during our International Semester, with visitors from different countries
Exchange programs abroad for teachers, students and research staff where academic mobility takes place in the two directions
More than 130 academic agreements with universities in America, Asia and Europe
Double degree agreements, academic tours and internships
Development of joint actions with different international actors: networking, research, collaboration, international collaboration projects. Participation in 3 ALFA networks, 1 FP7, among others.
Implementation of social impact projects, funded with international resources: European Commission, IDB (Inter-American Development Bank), Ministry of Foreing Affairs of the Federal Republic of Germany, among others, and publications that result from these experiences.
Students and research staff take part in projects with displaced and uprooted populations among others.